It seems like these days, you can get a membership for anything and everything. From grocery stores and gyms, to restaurants and clothing stores, everyone wants you to become a member. Some memberships are a great deal and can save you a lot of money. One membership I recently purchased was an Amazon Prime membership. Why? I wanted the free, 2-day shipping. What I received was so much more than the two-day shipping. Amazon Prime offers its members several benefits that are worth considering.
What the Amazon Prime Membership Offers
- Free 2-day shipping – This is the big attraction for many Amazon Prime subscribers. Why? Because without an Amazon Prime membership, you need to spend at least $35 to qualify for free shipping. Sometimes it can be tempting to purchase things you don’t actually need just so you reach the $35 threshold. I absolutely hate paying for shipping. With an Amazon Prime membership, you don’t have that pressure anymore. You only need to buy what you need and it arrives at your door two days later.
- Video Streaming Service – The Amazon Prime Instant video streaming service gives you access to more than 40,000 movies and T.V show episodes. You get to stream an unlimited number of movies or television shows every month.
- Prime Music – This feature of the Amazon Prime membership gives subscribers access to more than one million songs add-free. You can stream music endlessly and create playlists.
- Kindle Owners Lending Library – You will have access to more than 350,000 books. You can borrow books for free and for as many days as you would like. Keep in mind you must own a Kindle (not just the Kindle app) to use this service.
Tips for Utilizing Your Amazon Prime Membership:
- If you are a student, consider signing up for Amazon Student. This will get you six months of Prime 2-day shipping for free. After the free period, students pay just $49 per year for Amazon Prime.
- You can share your shipping benefits with up to 4 family members. Just follow the simple instructions on Amazon to add a family member.
- Consider giving an Amazon Prime membership as a gift. This makes a great gift because the recipient has the option to redeem the gift as an Amazon membership, or use the gift as a gift card on Amazon. You don’t have to worry about whether or not your loved one already owns a membership.
What I love about Amazon Prime
I’ve been happy with my Amazon Prime membership. We’ve used the video streaming service several times and have also used Prime Music. These weren’t features I was planning to use that much, but I’ve really enjoyed them.
The best thing about Amazon Prime is the amount of time I’ve saved since getting a membership. Time is a very precious resource and I’m happy to save as much time as possible! Instead of making a random trip to Target or CVS each week to buy random household items that we ran out of, I just go to Amazon and order those items from the comfort of my home. This might not sound like a big deal, but those little trips can easily take 30-40 minutes. When winter comes and you’re driving on icy roads, those little trips to Target and CVS can easily double in time. Amazon Prime is an excellent value and should be considered by anyone who uses likes to shop on Amazon and save money.
Amazon Prime is a membership service offered by Amazon.com. For $99, you can get free two-day shipping on most Amazon products, but also get access to over 40,000 movies and TV shows. Amazon Prime is a great program.